Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I was making 33,000 a year when I noticed a random change in

I was making 33,000 a year when I noticed a random change in my paycheck. It was higher. I discussed this with the Director of Finance for my city and she explained that due to a mistake she made, I had been paying taxes equivalent to taxes paid on a 65,000 salary. She explained that this was her mistake and I never consented to signed to withhold/pay anymore taxes than required. Was her mistake legal?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

The mistake was just that - a mistake. At the end of the year when you file your taxes, you will receive a refund of the taxes that you overpaid. So, you're not actually losing any money.

Customer:

That is what I figured. It is just a shame because had I been in a situation where the $100 taken from my paycheck caused me not to make rent or a car payment, that money at the end of the year would not of really mattered.

Megan C :

I'm sorry, but it was just that - a mistake.

Customer:

One more question then I'll leave you alone and with a excellent service rating. I did some research on tax laws over employer provided cell phones and personal use, apparently that has changed in the past few years. Have in mind that I am a police officer so you will see where this is going. Since the creation/issuance of the "Notice 2011-72" from the IRS, are there any other tax related laws that contradict or differ from Notice 2011-72? Basically my point is, aside from any local ordinance, policy, etc., is there anything on the federal level that would prohibit me or hold me in violation of the law for using an employer provided phone (that is used primarily for noncompensatory business purposes) for personal use? I was told by my city manager that using it for personal use was a federal crime consistent with tax evasion.

Megan C :

No, nothing has changed since 2011-72

Customer:

Ok didn't think so, I appreciate it.

Megan C :

I don't believe that using your business phone for personal purposes is a federal crime

Megan C :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as 'excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Jonathan for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me next time you have a tax question. It was a pleasure working with you today.