Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am an employee for a Moving company in New Mexico. I get

Customer Question

I am an employee for a Moving company in New Mexico. I get paid 100% commission once a month. Our so called CFO makes everytime multiple mistakes on paying me for my booked jobs. After she pays me for the month , I then audit what was missed. Usually it's a amount that is larger than smaller. What she does is adds that missed amount to the total amont of what she already paid me, then Taxes me on the added number again , then pays me the difference of what she already paid me. Not sure if I explained it correctly but basically I'm being taxed at a higher percentage for the second amount. Not sure if this is ethical or ok for her to do to me since it is her mistake in the beginning. Please help me understand. Thank you.
Phil
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

So, if I understand you correctly let's say for instance that you earned $1,000 but were only paid $750.

Megan C :

So, you received $750 dollars and were taxed on that $750.

Megan C :

Then, your boss realized that she didn't pay you the other $250. So she'd make a check for $1,000 tax you on that full amount, then give you the difference between that net pay and the net pay she gave you.

Megan C :

This would be correct. She's not actually taxing you twice. It is actually more correct than cutting a check for $250 and withholding taxes.

Megan C :

She's not keeping the tax twice from you, she's just adjusting your pay so that what is withheld is correct.

Megan C :

Do you have any questions about this matter?