Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Hi,Is tax collected from the money invested in a business

Is tax collected from the money invested in a business and is the immigration status of the investor make a difference? There is a new rule that allows foreigners who invest in a business to receive a green card for the duration of their investment.

Thanks,

Yassmine
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

Yes there are some programs that allow for a green card to be issued quicker depending on an investment in in a US based business.

Robin D. :

Taxes in the US depend on the source of the income and the residence of the individual.

Robin D. :

Tax residence and immigration status are not always the same.

Robin D. :

One can be a resident in the US for taxes but have no legal immigration status at all.

Robin D. :

A nonresident alien individual engaged or considered to be engaged in a trade or business in the United States during the year. You must file even if:

• Your income did not come from a trade or business conducted in the United States,

• You have no income from U.S. sources, or

• Your income is exempt from income tax.

Robin D. :

A green card holder is a resident alien and would be taxed on their worldwide income. If you are a resident alien, you must follow the same tax laws as U.S. citizens. You are taxed on income from all sources, both within and outside the United States.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer, however what I need to know whether or not the business taxed for the money invested.

Kindly,

Yassmine

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
If you mean the original amount that is invested in the business by the owner(s) then no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not what the buisness owner has invested, but will the money that the foreigner invests get taxed?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
No the actual investment or "start up" is not taxed. The earnings would be taxed. The money invested in the business would not be taxable.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor