How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax liability following death of my only child.

This answer was rated:

I am trying to determine if there is any hope of having my tax liability reduced. Short story . . . after the unexpected death of my only child, I did not file my 2008, 2009, and 2010 taxes, knowing that the net was that I was due a refund. Well, the IRS asked about 2009. When I sent 2009 in, I also sent the other two years and I was right, the net was that I was owed a considerable refund. The problem is that I was owed refunds for 2008 and 2009 and owed for 2010 and 2008 and 2009 were filed beyond the deadline.  So they want the tax owed for 2010 plus interest and penalties.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately the deadline for claiming a refund has run out...

The statute of limitation is tree years.

Thus - the statute of limitation to claim a refund for 2009 started on Apr 15, 2010 when the tax return was due and run out n Apr 15, 2013...

That means - even you are due a refund for 2009 - because of that statute of limitation the IRS will not issue a refund check and will not consider that refund toward your tax liability for following years.

Sorry for bad news.

Unfortunately - it is too late to claim that refund.

Similarly - you would not receive any refund for 2008.

For 2010 - as you have the tax liability - that liability will be in effect. You may ask the IRS to abate penalties, however there should be a reasonable cause to have the abatement approved. I think that the death of your child may be used as a reasonable cause. However - the tax liability and interest charges may not be abated.


You may either use a form or may attach a note (better type instead of hand written). File a form 843 - to request the "accuracy related penalty" be abate based on reasonable cause. If you provide the reason like "I forgot" - I do not think it will be considered as reasonable - so be careful when prepare an abatement request.
Here are instructions -
If the IRS accepts your reasons as reasonable - and agrees to abate penalties - at least part of the issue would be resolved.
Let me know if you need any help.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The links that you provided did not work. I found them, but I thought you would want to know.

Appreciate for letting me know and sorry for confusion.
You may access these documents by copying addresses into your browser

Also you are not required to use the form - and may simply ask for abatement by writing a letter to the IRS.
Still you may want to review instructions.
In additional - while not required - it is recommended to have a tax professional helping with an abatement request.

Sorry again for confusion.
Please feel free if you need any help with tax related issues.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience