Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I am a registered nurse. Can I deduct travel & lodging cost

I am a registered nurse. Can I deduct travel & lodging cost to attend conferences to earn education units for my CA RN license?
Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Thanks for your question. And thanks for using IRC section 162 provides that if an educational expense is an ordinary and necessary expense including travel away from home it is deductible. So yes, travel away from home for cpe is deductible. You can read more about this here:$7$dec$7$20103279.jofa

Do you have any other questions? If not, please rate as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it matter if I fly first class and stay in a luxury hotel? Would the total costs be covered? Or is there a limit?

Hey Craig,

The IRS does not allow lavish or extravagant expenses, but that doesn't mean that your expense will be disallowed because you travel first class or stay in a nice hotel. I don't have any hard limitations to give you, so I would say you should be ok to deduct the entire cost of travel. Thanks

Please don't forget to rate as excellent as that's how I receive credit for helping today.