Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I have a client who bought a boat years ago and treated it

I have a client who bought a boat years ago and treated it as a second home, it fit the criteria. He is now selling his first home and will have a capital gain on it, even after the exclusion. Can he sell the boat and take a capital loss to offset it????? Would he have to consider it a rental property?????

MyVirtualCPA :

Hello, and welcome to

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, the owner cannot recognize a capital loss on the sale of the boat, because it is a personal use asset

MyVirtualCPA :

You must recognize capital gains on the sale of personal use assets, but you are not allowed to recognize capital losses.

MyVirtualCPA :

So the answer to your question is unfortunately, no - he cannot take a capital loss to offset the capital gain.

MyVirtualCPA :

This would not be able to be claimed as a rental property unless he actively rented it and received rental income

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else you need assistance with? If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer :

I thought that was the case...but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated, as it will assist me with my rankings on the site. Thanks again!