Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

do you need a 1099 and 1096 for buying out 1/2 of a cottage

do you need a 1099 and 1096 for buying out 1/2 of a cottage on lake michigan from your sister and brother-inlaw?

MyVirtualCPA :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Are you asking if you need to provide a 1099 and submit a 1096 for the purchase of 1/2 the interest in a cottage from your sister and brother in law?

MyVirtualCPA :

You do not need to submit this form.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you use a title company they will submit tax paperwork to your sister and brother in law, but if you are doing this all personally you are not required to give the 1099 to them.

MyVirtualCPA :

A form 1099-S would be required, but your title company will take care of that. If not, then the mortgage lender would be responsible. If there is no title company and no mortgage lender then the transferor's broker is responsible. If you don't have a broker, then the transferee's broker is responsible. If no broker there either, then the transferee is responsible. The transferee is the person receiving the funds.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can refer to the following link for more details: http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099s/ar02.html#d0e231

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions about this?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks Frederick for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security questions. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Please fill out the survey favorably, as it will help with rankings on the site. Thanks again!