How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The IRS making me pay taxes for 2006 which I didnt work I

This answer was rated:

The IRS making me pay taxes for 2006 which I didn't work I submitted a return for that year because they said i need one I submitted this on May 6 2013 and they said it would take 8- 12 weeks and its been 17 weeks now and I have to pay them 630 a month, I believe this is totally unfair, being that I didn't work in 2006 with 0 income.


Hi, Mel. Thank you for contacting me about your Tax issue. I will work hard to help you understand the issue clearly. If you did not have any income, then it would be impossible to owe any tax. Income can come from sources other than working.


You will need to contact the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor have a representative (such as an Enrolled Agent or CPA) contact the IRS for you. You will want to get a transcript of your account with the IRS, starting with the 2006 tax year.


You will need:

1. Transcript of Wage and Income documents: this will show what the IRS has received for your SSN.

2. Transcript of the tax return filed: This will show what you filed and changes made to your account by the computer

3. Transcript of your Account: This will show the historical record of all IRS balances posted to your account. You may discover with Item 1, for example, that the IRS has received 1099s with your name & SSN, or a W-2 with your SSN. This can happen of an illegal immigrant has used your SSN to work, for example. Or if you received income and just forgot about it.


When the IRS receives documents with your SSN and no tax return that matches, it assumes you are wrong and the IRS changes your return for you. If you did not file, the IRS assumes worst case scenario, meaning no dependents, you are not married, and you have no deductions. You have to dispute this if the IRS assumptions are wrong, otherwise the IRS can collect the tax based on its (errant) assumptions. Until you get these transcripts, it is impossible to determine the exact nature of your problem.


If you need help in interpreting these documents, feel free to ask us or your accountant for help.


Hope this helps you start the process of getting to the bottom of this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes you are correct, I gave the IRS all that information also I gave them the

transcript from 2005-2011 and 2006 had 0.00 earned that year.



I would recommend visiting a tax professional who can review the documents you have and the IRS records directly, including the IRS correspondence.


The IRS does not demand $630 a month if there are no open balances.


There is information somewhere that you are not disclosing to me or that you do not have current information about.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok you are correct I'm not disputing what you're saying. I did go over this with my tax guy, he printed out all the necessary forms that showed I owed 0. So my question is they said it would take 8-12 weeks and its been 17 weeks with no answer. What do I need to do to get the answer from them, because I'm still paying $630 for something I don't owe. This amount was estimated tax owed because they went on what I filed the last couple years and did an estimate. 2006 I wasn't working and had 0 income. 2007 till present I've been at my current job.
The IRS does not work on the basis of "presumptive income". They either have knowledge of specific income and based a Substitute Return on this income, or something else is going on.

Without seeing your documents and having a Power of Attorney, I cannot delve into the specifics of your account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK R. Klein, EA it's amazing that you are telling me that it has to be some that I'm not telling you, but you missing the whole thing If they had anything why is it taking them over 18 weeks to give me a answer to my tax filing for 2006 that says 0.00, the Transcripts are 0.00, my only question to you is what do I need to do, to get a answer from the IRS. I think that 18 weeks is not an exceptionable time for a business that demands we pay on time, that I've should have received something from them by now, there statement to me is, someone has it on their desk there just not finished with it.



Mel LeForbes


I understand your frustration. The IRS is not a business and is not expected to work like one.

The IRS computers and notices are correct, statistically, less than 50% of the time. For the Service to verify errors of its own doing, sometimes it does take an extended period of time. One case I am working on right now has been trying to get resolved for more than 18 months, not just weeks.

If they are not actively taking collection action, then usually, there is nothing to do but wait. If they are taking collection action, such as levying a bank account or creating a lien, then you have SPECIFIC rights and a course of action to stop them from doing so while they verify the debt.

If they are sending threatening letters to take action, take the course that they ARE enforcing collections and taking action. This means you need to either A) Contact the IRS yourself and make them prove your debt; B) Contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate, which is an independent group dedicated to resolving taxpayer issues of this type, or C) Hire a representative to get to the bottom of it.

So, again, if you are NOT getting letters, then let the IRS research run its course.

And yes, I DO insist it is something you are not telling me. Collections does not happen in a vacuum.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks you gave me my answer now (Taxpayer Advocate) I will contact them, that seems as my only hope to get this some what resolved as far as me giving them money. until they resolved this one way or another.


Thanks for your help.


OK, good luck.

A link to the TAS above.
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience: Over 20 Years experience
R. Klein, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience