Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I owe state taxes (Virginia for 10, 11 and 12) - I am in the

I owe state taxes (Virginia for 10, 11 and 12) - I am in the process of filing my state taxes. I am not offering any excuses for not filing or not having state taxes withheld. Basically, my daughter's on-going illness beginning in 2011 (chronic hospitalizations and suicide attempts). I only filed my federal taxes in April and am sure its a matter of time before I get the nastygrams.

I guess my real question is can get a payment plan for my state taxes? If they file a levy, I may as well quit my job now. Any insight or suggestions that you can provide will be helpful.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

In the state of Virginia, they will work with you to get a payment plan that works for you

Customer:

I am fine....your status says you are offline

MyVirtualCPA :

I am online

Customer:

I guess I am overwhelmed about the state taxes. I had planned to file and request a payment plan

MyVirtualCPA :

You will be able to do that. They want to work with you ... they only typically levy as a last case resort

Customer:

I appreciate your response, l didn't have enough taxes withheld and estimate that I'll owe 8100.00 or so. Would you recommend having a CPA or enrolled agent file the taxes for me?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, I always recommend that

Customer:

Based on your response, I think I can work with the state to resolve this matter or at least it sounds like it.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, they will be reasonable with you

Customer:

Thanks again I appreciate your help I've had nightmares about criminal prosecution and losing my limited assets. I really really appreciate your assistance

MyVirtualCPA :

Don't worry about that. The only time that happens is when you purposefully avoid them for a long time

Customer:

I haven't filed for three years but I'm not sure if that's a long time.

MyVirtualCPA :

No, it's when the state starts filing returns on your behalf and you don't return their calls

MyVirtualCPA :

they aren't going to prosecute you for being three years late when you're willing to pay the tax due

Customer:

Alright thanks again - I appreciate it and it looks like my situation can be resolved

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you should not worry :-)

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No that's it.

MyVirtualCPA :

Good. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Billie,

Thanks for the opportunity to assist. I see you stepped out of live chat. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks!
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer