DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes
50747609

We filed amended tax returns for 2009,2010,and 2011 due to

Customer Question

We filed amended tax returns for 2009,2010,and 2011 due to education credit not being filed originally. These were filed in early May. We received a letter telling us that they needed more information for the 2010 and 2011 returns. We sent this information in early June.We received a third letter requesting more information on the 2010 return. We sent that in mid June.

Since that time we have heard nothing. and when I call the automated system, sometimes it says that they received the 2010 return but they need more information to process it and recently they say they have no information on any of the returns.
We have had no requests for more information on the 2009 return and only one request for information on the 2011 return which we sent 2and 1/2 months ago.Why is it taking so long?
Category: Tax
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 1 year ago.

DanielleCPA :

Welcome and thanks for your question!

DanielleCPA :

Sorry to hear about your issues with the IRS.

DanielleCPA :

I know you said you have called the IRS to try and check the status of your returns. Have you tried using their online system?

DanielleCPA :

http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-%28Form-1040-X%29/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

DanielleCPA :

If you are having troubles getting concrete information over the phone, it, unfortunately may not get you anywhere, but it may be a good starting point.

Customer:

Yes, I have tried the online system multiple times and I get the same message as the phone automated system. We sent the returns certified with a signature so i know they have received all three of them.

DanielleCPA :

I understand your frustration in it taking so long, but you will need to speak with a representative at the IRS in order to find out what's going on. I know from working with my clients that is not unusual for the IRS to take three months or more to process a return, but at this point it sounds like it has been nearly four. I have seen clients wait over six months to receive their refunds, so although it does seem to be taking a long time, I would say it is not particularly unusual.

DanielleCPA :

If you are not able to speak with someone at 1-800-829-1040 since I understand the wait times are ridiculous, you can try seeing if there is an IRS office in your area and work with a representative there to find out what's going on. The IRS has a locator available on there website.

DanielleCPA :

You may also want to try working with a local IRS Taxpayer Advocate. I have had clients that have had some luck in getting to the bottom of excessive processing times when they have worked with an Advocate.

Customer:

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX can get in touch with a human at the IRS to see what is going on. So what happens if 6 months passes and we still haven't heard anything? Why are the automated systems telling me that they have no information when obviously, they started processing the 2010 and 2011 returns and what about the 2009 ? We weren't sure if we got that one in on time before the cut off. Will they tell us if they aren't going to do anything with it ? Do you know anything about the delays especially on the education credit issue?

DanielleCPA :

If you didn't get the 2009 one in before the later of April 15, 2013 or the date you filed your return if it was on extension, then it was too late.

DanielleCPA :

If the IRS denies it because it is late, they will send you a letter. I have seen clients receive them in the past, so it is definitely something they do.

Customer:

There is an office near us. Would it be worth our time to make an appt. with them? I don't mind doing that but I also don't want to waste my time. Did your clients who waited 6 months eventually get their refunds? We are looking at 5,000.00 for sure and possibly 7,500.00 in refunds.

DanielleCPA :

My clients did eventually get their refunds that were due to them.

DanielleCPA :

Since you aren't able to get in touch with someone via phone, I do think it would be worth your while to meet with someone if there is an IRS office close to you.

DanielleCPA :

I know this year there has been some delays with the processing of the education credits, but that was mainly an issue for 2012. As far as I know, it did not extend to amended returns, but I don't know that with certainty. The delays in processing 2012 returns with education credits was initially about four to six weeks and then seemed to shorten later on during this year's tax season.

Customer:

Fortunately, we didn't have any problems with our 2012 tax credit. We have never filed an amended return before. Is this typical? What can the people at the IRS office do for us? Do they have a better way of getting in touch with the people processing the returns or can they actually go in to the system and see where they are in the process?

DanielleCPA :

It is typical for amended returns to take 8 to 12 weeks and sometimes longer depending on if additional information is needed. Your situation seems to be taking a bit longer, but I still wouldn't say it is unusual.

DanielleCPA :

The people at the IRS office are going to have the same information that the people on the phone will have, but you have the advantage of meeting with them face to face so it can sometimes be easier getting information from them.

Customer:

Ok, I guess we will make an appt. to go see them. Thank you for your help.

DanielleCPA :

You're welcome.

Experience: Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes