Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Tax Question. Does 1031 exchange still apply for capital gains

Customer Question

Tax Question. Does 1031 exchange still apply for capital gains on selling and paying primary residence?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Unfortunately, pursuant to the IRS guidelines set forth on the following IRS website (http://www.irs.gov/uac/Like-Kind-Exchanges-Under-IRC-Code-Section-1031}:

"What property qualifies for a Like-Kind Exchange?

Both the relinquished property you sell and the replacement property you buy must meet certain requirements. Both properties must be held for use in a trade or business or for investment. Property used primarily for personal use, like a primary residence or a second home or vacation home, does not qualify for like-kind exchange treatment."

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that your primary residence would qualify, but, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!