Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have been told by a few Solar installers that if I redo our

I have been told by a few Solar installers that if I redo our roof with an energy efficient one at the same times as the Solar I can wrap both in the 30% federal tax credit for solar as outlined on page 3 of Form 5695:

"Qualified solar electric property costs. Qualified solar electric
property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to
generate electricity for use in your home located in the United
States. No costs relating to a solar panel or other property installed
as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify solely because the
property constitutes a structural component of the structure on
which it is installed. The home does not have to be your main home."

Is this sound tax advice or would I be taking a big risk doing this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Let me clarify your situation, the solar installer is advising that you could count the cost of the new roof as part of the solar cost there by increasing the solar cost and credit under the 30% for Solar?
An energy efficient roof already has a credit that is in place. Of course that credit is 10% up to $500.

Robin D. :

And not installation costs on the roof credit.

Customer:

Yes that is correct. I know many of his clients have done so, and after reading the section of the code it seems plausible, but confusing and seems to be a gray area. They said that the 10 % up to 500 is only for people just doing a roof, and that the roof and solar would be a complete system...?

Robin D. :

I do not agree that you should include the cost of a new roof (and it's installation) under the Solar Panel credit. First, no installation of a roof is allowed under the credit and the installation costs for the Solar relate to the installation of the solar panels not a new roof for the panels to sit on.

Robin D. :

I would not agree with his interpretation.

Robin D. :

The 10% is for a new roof period not for people just doing a new roof.

Robin D. :

So the new roof would stand on it's own. The solar panels then would be installed and have their credit.

Customer:

ok, so they are setting people up for an audit, as they are just putting the whole thing in one line item of their invoice?

Robin D. :

I would not advise doing the credits in that way. If they are certifying the costs under one line on their invoices, then the company would have to answer for that too if and when someone gets audited.

Customer:

Ok, that's what I was thinking as well, just wanted to make sure, but was honestly hoping they were right :)

Robin D. :

Their interpretation is too out there for my taste.

Customer:

Ok thanks for the information!

Robin D. :

You are most welcome

Robin D. :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

For the $38 can I get the winning Powerball numbers as well ? :)

Robin D. :

Sure

Robin D. :

one sec, I need to shack the ball again :)

Robin D. :

shake* sorry I got excited

Customer:

:) thanks again!

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Customer:

ok thanks!

Robin D. :

Best wishes

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor