Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am a trustee of an irrevocable income only trust which yields

I am a trustee of an irrevocable income only trust which yields me interest and dividends. The irrevocable trust also includes real estate. Can I pay the real estate tax from the interest and dividends I receive on my 1040 and still deduct that amount on the trust's 1041 or must it be paid directly from the trust in order to do that. I want the deduction on the 1041 as much of its value is lost due to the AMT on my 1040.

MyVirtualCPA :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

MyVirtualCPA :

You are a separate entity apart from your trust. You would need to pay the expenses out of the trust, to ensure that the expense is deductible.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you pay the expenses personally, you would put deductions on your personal return and you have mentioned that you don't want the deduction there.

MyVirtualCPA :

Therefore, you should pay this out of the trust.

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any questions?

Customer:

In order to pay it directly from the trust I would need to set up a checking account in the IIOT. Is that correct?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is correct

Thanks, Jim for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.