Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

"If author is non-US resident and wishes to receive applicable

"If author is non-US resident and wishes to receive applicable treaty witholding rates the author must apply for a US tax identification number(TIN) by filing IRS Form W-7 and provide to our offices a valid IRS Form W-7 and provide to our offices a valid IRS Form W-8BEN containing the US tax identification number."
Could someone please explain the above which is part of a contract that I as a non-US resident author has with a self-publishing firm in the US.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

NPVAdvisor :

NPVAdvisor :

Sure, as a resident (regardless of citizenship) you have to report and pay taxes here .... See this:

Taxation of Resident Aliens - Internal Revenue Service

NPVAdvisor :

Because of that requirement you will have to send in a W-7 to the the ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) that anyone must have, in order to file your taxes

NPVAdvisor :

(sorry for the typo) ... to "get" the ITIN ...

NPVAdvisor :

Now, the W*_BEN is the form that you'll use to tell your publisher that they are not required to WITHHOLD those taxes ... that you will be responsible for paying them, yourself, or possibly will not have to pay them at all, depending on the US tax treaty with your country of citizenship

NPVAdvisor :

again, sorry "W8-BEN"

NPVAdvisor :

It IS a lot of hoops to jump through, I understand... but the company is just making sure that they do not get hit with under-withholding penalties from the IRS

NPVAdvisor :

For NON-residents the issue is similar ... here, the W*-BEN is telling the US very specifically, that you are not required to pay taxes at all, but again, must have the ITIN in order to complete the W*-BEN .. to make the statementment that you are EXEMPT from taxes in the US. See this: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxation-of-Nonresident-Aliens\

NPVAdvisor :

Let me know of you have questions

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

NPVAdvisor :

I saw that you came into the chat, but then left again ... I'll move us to the "Question & Answer' mode ... maybe that will help (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-tie as we can here)

NPVAdvisor :

AHHH there you are

NPVAdvisor :

I'll wait

Customer:

I do not reside in the US, how or where do I get the form. I have difficulty reading your reply since it was in a very tiny window. I have to go to the link but I do not want to lose this page.

NPVAdvisor :

Hang on and I'll get the form FOR you ... Also, you can always come back here by using this link: http://www.justanswer.com/tax/7ylsq-if-author-non-us-resident-wishes-receive-applicable.html

NPVAdvisor :

And yes, read the last on ... for NON0resident aliens

NPVAdvisor :

Listen, I am going to move us to the Question & Answer mode. I am told tat this will allow for you to see more of the conversation (Again we can still continue our conversation. We'll just have to do so by replying to each other)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in here.

Just reply back using the box below, with any further questions or clarifications needed.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I saw the form. Do I print it, fill it out and post it so that I can get the TIN? Secondly they said I must file a W-7 form forst and then provide the W-8BEN. I did not see any W-7 forms on the website.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

... so sorry. I wish it were that easy.

Where To Apply

By mail.

Mail Form W-7, your tax return (or other documents required by an exception), and the documentation described in item (3) and listed in the chart under How To Apply, earlier to:

Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Private delivery services.

If you use a private delivery service to submit your Form W-7, use the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
Mail Stop 6090-AUSC
3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35
Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

In person.

You can apply for an ITIN by bringing your completed forms and documentation to any IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in the United States or IRS office abroad. Designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers will be able to verity passports and National ID documents and return them immediately. Information on our overseas offices can be found in Pub. 1915 or at IRS.gov.

Through acceptance agent.

You also can apply through an acceptance agent authorized by the IRS. An acceptance agent can help you complete and file Form W-7. To get a list of agents, visit IRS.gov and enter “ acceptance agent program ” in the search box at the top of the page.

Here are the instructions for sending in the form:

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7/ch01.html

Hope this helps

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the positive rating.

I was expecting to continue our dialogue here.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Lane