Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner

I got a call from a company that I paid to sell my timeshare,

Customer Question

I got a call from a company that I paid to sell my timeshare, Timeshare by Owner, saying that they had sold my timeshare and that as soon as I paid a Document Stamp tax, they would send the check for the timeshare. They also called it a luxury tax. They said that the money doesn't go to them, but to a holding trust. When asked if I could pay by credit card, they said that I would have to go to a Bank of America. This is who is supposed to be sending the check for the payment of the timeshare. Are they trying to scam me?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Typically when companies ask for money up front to send you money, it is usually a scam. However, before I write it off as such, please clarify for a few things for me.

1) How did you come across this company? If on the internet, do they show a U.S. telephone number and address?

2) Have you googled the telephone number where you rec'd the call from? If so, what comes up in the search?

3) What is the name of this company and where are they located?
Hello again Mary,

A few of my colleagues have provided me with some infor that may be of assistance to you. SEE BELOW:

<table border="0" id="JA_form">Documentary stamp tax is levied on documents as provided under Chapter 201, Florida Statutes (F.S.). Documents subject to the tax include: • Deeds • Bonds • Notes and written obligations to pay money • Mortgages, liens, and other evidences of indebtedness

See This:‎ New Answer

Based on the above info, it appears that the doc stamp charge is legitimate. However, I would still verify that this company is legitimate by checking out their website (they should have a website), and typing the name of their company in Google to see if there are any complaints or bad write ups about this company.

My apologies, but I will be leaving the computer in approximately 1/2 hour. If you need further assistance, I will be glad to respond when I return, which will be at least 4 hours. I am out of town and not at a computer the time. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ended up calling the company (the number that originally called when i signed up) and they said that they don't operate that way and that it is a scam. T
hey told me what to do to report it. They knew the names of a few people that were calling and saying that they were from their company, but actually weren't. I wasn't the only one that they tried to scam, but they didn't get any money from me.

I indicated that though the doc stamp charge was legitimate but that you should still verify whether the company was legit. I did not say that the company was legit. There was no way that I could tell you whether the company was actually legit or not, all I could do was to give you my opinion, which I did. Enjoy the holiday. I intend to, in spite of the bad rating that I rec'd from you,...which I feel is unwarranted.