Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I am the executor of a very simple estate, the total value

I am the executor of a very simple estate, the total value of which was about $2,000, and all of that went to paying funeral expenses. The woman who died had never had significant assets (so no gift tax issues that I'm aware of) and lived on social security and a small pension. For the last 4 years of her life, she was on Medicaid in a nursing home. Her husband predeceased her.

The last item left hanging in winding up the estate is the question of filing a tax return for the estate. My reading of the rules for filing an estate tax return is that if there is no surviving spouse and no gift tax issues, the estate has to be very large ($5M in 2012; I couldn't find rules for 2013) before an estate tax return needs to be filed.

Do I need to file a tax return for the estate?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. You are correct. You are exempt on both the Federal level and the New Jersey state level. Thus, not only do you have no tax, you also have no estate tax return obligations either.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: