Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

On the IRS form W-7, line 2, Applicants mailing address, if

On the IRS form W-7, line 2, Applicant's mailing address, if there is a typo mistake on the house number but zip code is correct, what to do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can white out the wrong address and put the correct house number in the spot designated

Customer:

The W-7 already mailed yesterday.

MyVirtualCPA :

Then just fill out a new one and send it in

Customer:

But TIN may be processed by the IRS.

Customer:

Can the address be corrected after getting the TIN?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, the taxpayer can send in a change of address form and get it changed

Customer:

change of address form? but the applicant does not have TIN yet.

MyVirtualCPA :

Once they have the TIN then they can send in the change of address form

Customer:

When the TIN is issued, how to know it is issued?

Customer:

The IRS mail may not be delivered because of wrong house number.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is going to be the difficult part

MyVirtualCPA :

There's really nothing you can do - once you send the form off, it's on its way to be processed. That's why I would file a second form - worst case they send you a letter saying that your TIN was already issued and then you can use that correspondence to get the information you need from the IRS

Customer:

But original documents were sent with the W-7 mailed yesterday.

MyVirtualCPA :

Well, there's not much you can do - other than hope that the mail comes back to the correct house

Customer:

To make a new W-7, again original documents will have to be attached.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is true

MyVirtualCPA :

They would have to order and get those documents again

Customer:

>hope that the mail comes back to the correct house

Customer:

Can the post office help?

MyVirtualCPA :

You could tell the local mailman or woman what happened, and if they are good they can be on the lookout for it

Customer:

Will sending to the IRS a copy of everything that was mailed help in getting the address corrected?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately that would not help.

Customer:

what to do?

Customer:

If the post office delivers, there is no problem.

Customer:

Any expert on post office deliver matter?

Customer:

>You could tell the local mailman or woman what happened,

Customer:

Any form to fill out at the post office?

MyVirtualCPA :

No there is no form to fill out for the post office

MyVirtualCPA :

You would just have to hope for a mailman who was willing to keep an eye out for you

Customer:

is that the ideal solution to this problem?

MyVirtualCPA :

So to summarize, you would need to contact the local post office and hope they will help you watch out for this

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes that's the ideal solution

Customer:

ok. thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, Shiv for your postiive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

How about "Hold Mail Service" at USPS.com? "If you’re going away for a while, take advantage of our Request Hold Mail service. We’ll keep your mail safely at your local Post Office until you return."

Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You could definitely try that, if you wanted to.

Thanks, and have a great night.