Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hello! I previously asked this question but I would like a

Hello! I previously asked this question but I would like a second opinion confirmation before I sign my tax return. I am a small business taking Section 179 on my federal return (approx $50k). My state return (California) limits me to $25k for Section 179. I am going to claim the max $25k on the state return, but if I have excess unused Section 179 (approx $25) can I depreciate that excess on my state return? In other words, can I claim $25k section 179 AND $25k depreciation to cover the full $50k in qualified equipment? Thank you.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

On your state return, you would claim $25,000 of section 179 and then you would depreciate the other $25,000 over the useful life of the asset

MyVirtualCPA :

So, you won't have a full $50,000 deduction in the current year.

MyVirtualCPA :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes that makes perfect sense....I forgot to say that I understand for the state I will get the $25k S179 and then of course

Customer:

less for the depreciated vehicles comprising the other $25 in purchases...thank you SO much...I could not get that answer online anywhere!!!

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm glad I could help you out. Once satisfied. will you please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

absolutely...what a great service, I have spent days looking for answers...I'm sure I will have more questions, can I request you to answer my questions?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you can let me give you a link hold on a second

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.justanswer.com/finance/expert-myvirtualcpa/

MyVirtualCPA :

If you go to that link, and enter the question below my picture it will come to me directly

Customer:

terrific thank you again you made my day!

Thanks, Gail for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.