Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am on social disability and owe approximately 16000.00 to

I am on social disability and owe approximately 16000.00 to the irs. I have back filed the years I missed 2003 to 2012. my income is only 730.00/monthly. I filed though legal services and they did a great job, but I still only collect social security disability. how do I pay this debt or can I file something like a hardship to get the taxes excused. im scared, I don't own a car. I heard they take my ssi, ssdi away. can you help me with this very hard difficulty? thank you. gini rene ward
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
The IRS does have the ability to place a levy on SS but if that is your only income and you have no other assets or income you would want to request to be placed on Currently Not Collectible status.

Robin D. :

If you request an Offer In Compromise then you would be offering to pay a portion of the debt but with Currently Not Collectible you are saying that you have no funds to pay.
When you are granted CNC (Currently not Collectible) status, the IRS must stop all collection activities and efforts, including levies (the statutory authority of the IRS, to seize property to satisfy a tax liability without going to court) and wage garnishments.

Robin D. :

You should call the number on the last statement you received and tell the agent you wish to request Currently Not Collectible status.

Robin D. :

They will send you anything you need ot complete.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. :

Customer Last Viewed Today at 3:32