Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

my grand sons wife just walked outy and left . does he have

my grand son's wife just walked outy and left . does he have to file with her this year and is she intitled to 1/2 of the tax refund although she has never worked . also could he asssign the refund to some one that he owes before it comes to him ? thank you

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Robin D. :

Your granson is allowed to file a separate return and is not required to file a joint return with his spouse.

Robin D. :

She would be required to agree to a joint filing as she has the same rights.

Robin D. :

If he file a married filing separate return the refund is his. Assigning a refund to someone else is not allowed by the iRS unfortunately but he could pay the debt with it when he receives his refund.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Customer:

they have one child can he file on him without her concent since they lived in the same home until august 2013

Robin D. :

Did the child continue to live with him after the mother left?

Robin D. :

If the parents divorced or separated during the year and the child lived with both parents before the separation, the custodial parent is the one with whom the child lived for the greater number of nights during the rest of the year.
He could claim the child as a dependent if he supplied more than half the child's support but he would not be allowed to claim Head of Household.

Robin D. :

He would have to file Married Filing Separate and claim the child as dependent. He could not claim Head of Household unless the child continued to live with him after he and the mother separated.

Robin D. :

I hope the above has addressed your initial questions and the followup you posted.

Customer:

yes thank you i', trying to rate this but the computer is not working right