Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I have received an IRS Notice of Intent to Levy via certified

Customer Question

I have received an IRS Notice of Intent to Levy via certified mail and another warning notice, for a different year, by regular mail. In regard to the Notice of Intent to Levy, I received no warning letter. I intend to file an Appeal and the form to do so is enclosed with the Notice.

In regard to both mailings, there is literally only a couple of days to comply. However, the statement also is made that if I wish to appeal (which I do), that must be done within 30 days from the mailing date of the Notice. So my main question at this time is does the two working day deadline (now one working day) apply or is it the 30 days?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. This is very typical of the IRS. You will have the 30 days rather than the two working day deadline. But, it's important that you call the IRS at the number indicated in order to alert them of the discrepancy so they can specifically notate in your file that you called and that you are in the process of filing an appeal and will do so within the 30 days. The key with the IRS is always communication. They will have no issue with the 30 days; you just want to call to avoid your file being put in the wrong pile and then having to try to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much! This is very clear and helpful. I have signed up for a membership plan and likely will be asking more questions in the near future.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome....it's my pleasure to help!

I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for the positive rating and the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness and the opportunity to serve you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With the Notice of Intent to Levy, how many "hits" can occur under that particular Notice and over how long a time? In essence, is there just one Notice that is valid forever, or do they send out more Notices?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Once you get the Notice of Intent to Levy, the IRS is not required to send another notice; sometimes they send another one and sometimes they do not....it really depends upon the agent handling your case. But, if you are communicating with the IRS, as long as you comply with the time guidelines agreed upon on the phone, the IRS will not levy on your property or assets. So, even if the actual notice you receive only gives you a couple of days, the IRS will almost always agree to a longer time over the phone. What you want to do is either contest the issue in full or if you agree that you owe the money, but simply can't pay, work with them on an installment arrangement or an offer in compromise. That will buy you a lot of time because once you start working with them on these options, they will stop collection efforts until resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much once again!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.....I'm always happy to be able to help! I'll be here if you need help as you work through this! Have a great day!