Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I have been paying weekly child support for a child that is

I have been paying weekly child support for a child that is not mine (I have been paying on behalf of someone else). Can I claim that child support I have paid on my income taxes this coming year?

Stephen G. :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G. :

Unfortunately, child support is not deductible for income tax purposes.

Stephen G. :

That would apply even if the child were your own child.

Stephen G. :

Usually what happens is that as part of the divorce settlement agreement, the child support payments are ordered (or approved) by the Court and the same agreement defines who is entitled to claim the child as a dependent on their income tax return.

Customer:

Can I claim it as a donation then? I have bank deduction receipts to prove I have paid.

Stephen G. :

Unfortunately no. Charitable contributions must be made to a public charity or church or organization with a tax exemption such as a 501(C)(3) exemption.

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your help.