Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I was born in US , never applied for passport, or citizenship.

I was born in US , never applied for passport, or citizenship. Lived and worked in Saudi Arabia, holding Saudi Nationality. I wanted to fly to US for vacation with my family , but was told tp apply for the passport or will not be allowed to get into US. I have no idea of all IRS and taxes at all, and would love to know what if? applied for the passport , what shall i do and how ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
A US citizen is liable for reporting all their worldwide income. Amendment XIV, Section 1, Clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution directs that all persons born in the United States are U.S. citizens. This is the case regardless of the tax or immigration status of a person’s parents.
This means that you as a US citizen would be required to file a US tax return every year and report your income no matter if you were in the US or not. You would be allowed some areas of tax relief.

Robin D. :

Your foreign earned income would be excluded (up to limits) and you would not pay US tax on those.

Robin D. :

Then there is the foreign tax credit.

Robin D. :

It allows for a credit on taxes paid in another country on the same income that is taxable to the US.

Robin D. :

Your foreign accounts (not in the US) would need to be reported too if more then $10,000 in them. As well as tax on the interest earned.

Customer:

Thnaks , what if I wanted to begin looking into this issue seriously? What can you do for me please.

Robin D. :

If you mean filing past tax returns I would be happy to explain how many years back you would be required to go but I can not complete the returns for you. This is a Question and Answer site.

Customer:

ok, how many years do I need to go back , and would appreciate to have the website where I can visit.

Robin D. :

The url is to the IRS page that explains for US citizens abroad.

Customer:

thank you , any other things I should know ?

Robin D. :

I would strongly suggest you seek a professional to assist

Robin D. :

The rules for the credit and exclusion are exact.

Customer:

Any Recommendations? I have never been to US since I was 1 year old and never get back since then

Customer:

I'm 46 years old now

Robin D. :

I would think that an international tax company is available. You may wish to try KPMG.

Customer:

thanks Robin thank you very much

Robin D. :

Thurl has their locations in SA

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.

Robin D. :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

Thank you , likewise my dear, i Will

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor