Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I have a client who was married in 2012, her husband filed

I have a client who was married in 2012, her husband filed chapter 13 in 2010. He is still making payment on the chapter filing. If they file joint can the debtors come after her, or it does not matter. Should they file seperate to be on the safe side?

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
If I were advising her, I would say file separately. The joint filing places her in a position for liability plus her refund coul dbe attached if he also owes back taxes. Of course she could file Injured spouse but why go through the bother.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Im thinking same thing...thanks

I thought you were but needed a sounding board. You are most welcome.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.