Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

how do I stop getting tax deduction off my check seeing as

how do I stop getting tax deduction off my check seeing as i'm a native working on a reserve
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Proof of registration with Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) is necessary to claim the tax exemption.

If you are entitled to be registered as an Indian under Bill C-3 (also known as the Gender Equity in Indian Registration Act), you may qualify for the Indian Act tax exemption for property situated on a reserve starting on January 31, 2011. This is the date that Bill C-3 came into effect.

Only income you earn, or purchases you make on or after January 31, 2011, may be exempt from tax.

If you are entitled to be registered as an Indian because of the creation of the Qalipu Mi'kmaq First Nation Band, then you may qualify for the Indian Act tax exemption for property situated on a reserve starting on September 22, 2011.

Only income you earn, or purchases you make on or after September 22, 2011 , may be exempt from tax.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/brgnls/ndns-eng.html

Listed below is the link to AANDC website, which provides their contact information.

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1291132820288/1291132853616

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have proof do I give it to my employer or wait tell I file my tax return

Hello again, It is not stated whether you give the Proof of Registration to your employer or not, however, stated below is a telephone number that you should call for instructions. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------------------------------

Employment income is exempt from income tax under paragraph 81(1)(a) of the Income Tax Act and section 87 of the Indian Act only if the income is situated on a reserve. If your employment income is exempt from tax, you do not have to include that income when you file your personal income tax return. If you live in a province that provides child and family benefits which are based on family income, it may be to your advantage to report your exempt income when you file your personal income tax return in order to maximize your provincial benefit entitlements. To ensure that you retain tax-exempt status in respect of the reported amounts, you should contact us toll free at 1-800-959-8281 for instructions on how to report the amounts.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/brgnls/stts-eng.html#hdng3

Please let me know if this addresses your concerns.