WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Experience:  Licensed CPA. 10+ years experience.

I worked as a 1099 salesman in Illinois for a Utah company.

I worked as a 1099 salesman in Illinois for a Utah company. The 1099 is from the Utah company. I am an NJ resident. How and to what state do I pay income tax?
Welcome and thank you for your question. I'll do my best to provide an informative answer. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

As a NJ resident, you will be required to report the 1099 income on your NJ income tax return regardless of the state in which you earned the income. You will also report this income on an Illinois tax return and will be required to pay Illinois income tax. This is because you worked in and earned the income in Illinois.

NJ offers a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions (i.e. the tax you paid to Illinois). This is to avoid double taxation. You'll need to complete a NJ Schedule A when preparing your NJ-1040.

To recap, report the income to both Illinois and NJ. You will receive a credit on the NJ tax return for the tax you pay to Illinois. Note that the credit is not necessarily dollar for dollar and is dependent on each state's tax rate. NJ Schedule A will walk you through the calculation.

Please see here for further detail on NJ filing requirements:

Hello Dan,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know if you need further guidance.

Best regards,