Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

Can you file taxes for 2013 if you have yet to file taxes in

Can you file taxes for 2013 if you have yet to file taxes in 2011 and 2012. Or do you have to file them in order?? Only asking because i have to file bankruptcy and lawyers says i need last years taxes.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 3 years ago.

Stephen G. :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G. :

You can file your 2013 return before you file 2011 or 2012.

Stephen G. :

The only potential problem would be if you had information from the earlier years that has to be carried forward to the 2013 tax year.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also, if you are planning on filing for bankruptcy, you'll need the amounts of any unpaid tax liabilities from 2011 & 2012.

Also, you won't be able to file your 2013 returns until at least January of 2013.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How would i go about getting old w-2's??

You would either need to call the companies you worked for during those years OR
contact the IRS and ask for transcripts of your account for 2011 & 2012.

You can order the transcripts on the IRS website at or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Steve! I will definitely use you again.