Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

(state of Ohio) My mother inherited $150,000 from her sister

(state of Ohio) My mother inherited $150,000 from her sister and has paid all the estate taxes. She now wants to give $75,000 to both myself and my sister. She has never gifted before and her estate before the inheritance was $100,000. Will she have to pay a gift tax or will we (adult children) have to pay income tax on the gift?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

A gift tax is owed by the person giving the gift, if the amount is over $14,000 per year, per person. HOWEVER you can give away $5 million tax free during your lifetime

MyVirtualCPA :

so, there is a gift tax return due on the gift, but no actual tax will be due unless your mother has gifted over $5 million

MyVirtualCPA :

And, for you there is NO income tax on the gift

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.