Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have lived and worked in Canada for 6 years as a permanent

I have lived and worked in Canada for 6 years as a permanent resident (and married to a Canadian). Although I have not earned anything in the US (my home country) do I still need to file a tax return in the US?

bkb1956 :

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question. If you are a US citizen, you are required to file a tax return in the US and report your worldwide income. If you are not a US citizen and not a US resident, you are not required to file a tax return in the US.

Customer: Do I still pay taxes on my income in Canada?
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer,
If you have income in Canada then that same income would be reportable in Canada as well as the US. The US would allow you either a Foreign Tax Credit (for the taxes paid in Canada) or you would be allowed to Exclude Earned Income (wages or self employment) using Form 2555 with your US return.
Your initial question implies you have earned income in Canada, if so you file in Canada and report and you file in the US and report but due to the tax treaty you will not be under a double taxation if you use the foreign tax credit or the exclusion with your US return.
I certainly hope this information is helpful.

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor