Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Are dog training fees taxable in the state of Iowa? I will

Are dog training fees taxable in the state of Iowa? I will not be selling items to anyone, just my services as a dog trainer. Do I need to apply for any special licensure for taxes in the state of Iowa to start my dog training business?

NPVAdvisor :

NPVAdvisor :

Yes, the fees you charge ARE taxable ... HOWEVER, you get to deduct the legitimate expenses of running your business

NPVAdvisor :

And on the licensing question? ... Regardless of whether they own or rent a kennel or training facility, Iowa dog trainers are required under current legislation to obtain and maintain a commercial kennel license. In a misconstrued interpretation of a law intended to safeguard animals from the atrocities of commercial breeding facilities, a.k.a. puppy mills, dog trainers and groomers have been lumped into a group of animal care providers which includes boarding facilities, breeders, pet stores, daycare facilities, humane societies and animal rescues. All of these businesses are inspected and licensed under the same set of standards.

NPVAdvisor :

Here's a great article on the licensing issue: http://suite101.com/article/dog-training--grooming-in-iowa-require-kennel-license-a316888

Customer:

Thank you so much. I've tried numerous other sites and not found the information I need!

NPVAdvisor :

ou're very welcome: ... you just do a schedule C (along with your regular 1040 tax form) that allows you to list the revenues and expenses of your business.... and it's only the PROFIT for your business that you'll have ton pay tax on

NPVAdvisor :

Or you may even have a loss of the first year or so

NPVAdvisor :

it will flow to line 12 (business income or loss) o n your personal 1040 tax form

Customer:

Awesome advice. Thank you! So I'll apply for the sales tax license as well as the commercial kennel license. And hopefully I'll be up and running shortly! I've been kind of at a loss so far, so thank you!

NPVAdvisor :

that will do it!

NPVAdvisor :

Good luck with it!

Customer:

Thank you!

NPVAdvisor :

You're very welcome

NPVAdvisor :

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Customer:

I can do that :) Thanks!

NPVAdvisor :

Thank U so much :)

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

Thanks so much for the rating Emily!

If you'd like to work with ME again just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question.

Thanks again ... and good luck!

Lane