Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Hi, I and my ex brought house $65,000 1974. We divorced and

Hi, I and my ex brought house $65,000 1974. We divorced and sold our house $900,000.00 August. 2012. I used the half interested of the property proceeds buying my own house $565,000 Nov. 2012. I understood there are capital gain tax beyound $250,000. I am now just filing my delayed 2012 income tax. Can I postpone my capital gain tax due to I brought my own residental home within a year? My CPA said new law require tax payer to pay capital gain tax. I also brought $90,000.00 income property Las Vegas on July 2013. Can I also use that to deffer captial gain tax for my income property investment. My CPA said the new law does not appy all that and I need to pay my capital gain regardless. I would like to valid that. Helen
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

Anne :

Hi Helen

Anne :

Unfortunately, your CPA is correct.

Anne :

Please see below:

Anne :

I've been doing this job for 27 years, and I remember when you would just constantly "roll over" any gain on the sale of 1 property to the purchase of another (providing the new property cost more than the one you just sold, along with some other qualifications )

Anne :

However, the IRS did change the rules. Now you can sell your principle residence and make a gain up to $500,000 ($250,000 if single) and not pay tax on that money.

Anne :

In fact, you may qualify to use this exclusion every 2 years as long as the home is your principle residence and you lived in it for a full 2 years.

Anne :

In most cases, this has been a real advantage for homeowners

Anne :

However, I see that in your case, just the opposite is true.

Anne :

It would be nice if all of the tax changes helped everyone, however, we all know that that s not always the case

Anne :

I /understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it may not necessarily be favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience: Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the accept and the excellent rating!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future.