Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Hi, I and my ex brought house $65,000 1974. We divorced and

Hi, I and my ex brought house $65,000 1974. We divorced and sold our house $900,000.00 August. 2012. I used the half interested of the property proceeds buying my own house $565,000 Nov. 2012. I understood there are capital gain tax beyound $250,000. I am now just filing my delayed 2012 income tax. Can I postpone my capital gain tax due to I brought my own residental home within a year? My CPA said new law require tax payer to pay capital gain tax. I also brought $90,000.00 income property Las Vegas on July 2013. Can I also use that to deffer captial gain tax for my income property investment. My CPA said the new law does not appy all that and I need to pay my capital gain regardless. I would like to valid that. Helen

Anne :

Hi Helen

Anne :

Unfortunately, your CPA is correct.

Anne :

Please see below:

Anne :

I've been doing this job for 27 years, and I remember when you would just constantly "roll over" any gain on the sale of 1 property to the purchase of another (providing the new property cost more than the one you just sold, along with some other qualifications )

Anne :

However, the IRS did change the rules. Now you can sell your principle residence and make a gain up to $500,000 ($250,000 if single) and not pay tax on that money.

Anne :

In fact, you may qualify to use this exclusion every 2 years as long as the home is your principle residence and you lived in it for a full 2 years.

Anne :

In most cases, this has been a real advantage for homeowners

Anne :

However, I see that in your case, just the opposite is true.

Anne :

It would be nice if all of the tax changes helped everyone, however, we all know that that s not always the case

Anne :

I /understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it may not necessarily be favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

Thank you for the accept and the excellent rating!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future.