Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

Is there any australian tax obligation if i were to gift my

Customer Question

Is there any australian tax obligation if i were to gift my house to my daughter
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is Angela and my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Yes there is on your part. SEE BELOW:

Selling or gifting real estate is a capital gains tax event (CGT event). Your liability for capital gains tax arises when a CGT event happens to your property.

For most CGT events, your capital gain or capital loss is the difference between your capital proceeds (what you receive when you dispose of the property) and the cost base (your costs of ownership of the property).

However, if you receive nothing in exchange for your property (for example, if you give it away as a gift) you are taken to have received the market value of the property at the time of the CGT event.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gains-tax/In-detail/Changes-in-family-circumstances/Transferring-real-estate-to-family-or-friends/?default=&page=3

Pleasze let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.