Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

If I paid 215,000 for a beach condo 16 years ago in Indian

If I paid 215,000 for a beach condo 16 years ago in Indian Rocks Beach , Fl. and sell it for 615,000 what percent capital gains tax will I pay when I sell. I am in the next to highest income bracket . I think around 32 percent.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. I'm presuming this beach condo is not your principal residence, is that correct? Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you , no it is not my primary home and I never have rented it out.

Thanks so much for following up. I can't tell you exactly, because I don't know exactly how much taxable income you have...i.e., whether or not you are just barely in the second highest marginal rate or almost in the highest marginal rate. You will have $400,000 worth of long term capital gain which will cause you to be in the highest rate for all or a good portion of the gain. For 2013, the tax laws concerning taxation of long term capital gains are as follows:

0% applies to long-term gains and dividend income if a person is in the 10% and 15% tax brackets,
15% applies to long-term gains and dividend income if a person is in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% tax brackets, and
20% applies to long-term gains and dividend income if a person is in the 39.6% tax bracket.

In addition, starting in 2013, capital gain income will be subject to an additional 3.8% Medicare tax for taxpayers with income at or above a certain threshold. This 3.8% Medicare surtax applies to taxpayers with “net investment income” in excess of threshold income amounts of $200,000 for single filers and $250,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/