How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3443
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a state take ALL the funds out of a bank account to jell

Customer Question

Can a state take ALL the funds out of a bank account to jell repay a tax lien? This is the ONLY money this individual has to buy food, gas, etc..
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is Angela and my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Q: I was told they could only take a percentage of the available funds, is this correct?

A: I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. Unfortunately, the IRS can take all of the funds that are in the bank account the day that the bank receives the levy request. The bank has to hold on to the funds for 21 days before submitting them to the IRS. the reason for this is because they want to make sure that they have the correct account and to give the taxpayer an opportunity to rectify the situation. It is true that they can only garnish a certain amount of your wages, but when bank accounts, not making lite of the matter, they can drain the account dry of whatever funds are in the account on that day the bank receives the levy notice. In order for them to keep levying the bank account, they will need to keep sending the bank levy notices. Since the levy is causing a harship, you should do the following;

If a levy on your wages, bank account or other property is causing a hardship you should:

Contact the IRS at the telephone number on the levy or correspondence immediately (1-800-829-1040) and explain your financial situation. Service is available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Levying Your Wages, Federal Payments, State Refunds, or Your Bank Account

If we levy your wages, salary, federal payments or state refunds, the levy will end when:

  • child">The levy is released,
  • You pay your tax debt, or
  • The time expires for legally collecting the tax.

If we levy your bank account, your bank must hold funds you have on deposit, up to the amount you owe, for 21 days. This holding period allows time to resolve any issues about account ownership. After 21 days, the bank must send the money plus interest, if it applies, to the IRS. To discuss your case, call the IRS employee whose name is shown on the Notice of Levy.



Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can the state do that if that is the only money I have? I cannot even purchase groceries or take care of my daughter

Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Tom,

The answer is yes, the state of Wisconsin operates the same as the IRS does relating to bank levies. SE BELOW:

  • How long will this levy stay in place?
  • The department's levies are a single action. They allow us to take only the amount in the accounts at the time the financial institution receives the levy. If the accounts do not have sufficient funds to pay the amount listed in full, the Department of Revenue would have to issue another levy to attach to amounts deposited after the bank received the first levy.

Does this mean that if the levy does not pay my debt in full, I will be levied again?
  • The Department of Revenue prefers to resolve delinquent accounts by voluntary actions. If your account still has a balance and you contact the agent listed on the levy, you will be able to discuss other options to resolve your account. These options can include a payment plan.


Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.
Tom, as with the IRS, you can contact the WI Dept of Revenue to claim undue hardship. It is no guarantee that they will release the funds that are on hold, but in most cases, taxing agencies will work with a taxpayer who is experiencing a hardship as a result of an action on their part. The customer service phone numbers are found at the following lik;

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience