Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I just e filed my 2012 federal and state ( Virginia) returns.

I just e filed my 2012 federal and state ( Virginia) returns. Virginia billed me for failure to file a return for my former S corp for years 2007-1011. I was in a bad car accident and was unable to file those returns during that period. I have sent the State verification of this and a request to waive those penalties. I know this will be considered good cause. Virginia owes me a refund, personally for 2012. Will they send me that refund, or will they apply it toward the penalties they wish to impose on the S corp?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your personal taxes and your business taxes are two separate things.

Customer: Thank you! That's what I was hoping you would say.
MyVirtualCPA :

so, you will receive your personal tax refund - it will not be applied to your business taxes

Customer: Thanks so much. Have a great night .
Thanks, Russell for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.