Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

What are the ramifications if I dont pay my car property taxes

Customer Question

What are the ramifications if I don't pay my car property taxes in Wallingford, Ct since I don't live there anymore nor do I own the vehicles that the tax is due on?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is the tax for a period that you DID live there, and that you DID own the vehicle?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you don't pay the tax, they can get a lien against you and you would need to pay the tax before you could obtain a loan etc

MyVirtualCPA :

But, they could not confiscate the car to sell for taxes because you no longer own the car.

MyVirtualCPA :

But, they could get a lien, wage garnishments, etc in order to collect the tax due

Customer :

I did not live there, I was separated from my spouse living in Florida. I DID have the cars registered in CT.

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, since the cars were registered there you would owe the property tax on it

Customer :

I am retired. Could they garnish my social security check?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, they cannot garnish your social security check.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Have I provided you with excellent service?

Customer :

Ok. So I have to pay it no matter what?

Customer :

So, I have to pay the FULL amount?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Steve,

I see you had trouble with our live chat. Please review my response, and reply below if you have any further questions. If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Steve,

I have changed the format of the question. Unfortunately, if you had your car registered in CT where property taxes are assessed on your vehicle, then you will have to pay the tax. They cannot garnish your social security, so if that is your only income and you have no assets then there's not much they can do to collect that tax.

You could work out payment arrangements with them, if you wish to make payments on your debt.

I'm truly sorry if this is not the news you had hoped to hear. Please don't shoot the messenger!

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day. Don't forget to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Steve,

Yes, you will have to pay the Full amount of the taxes.

Again, you could work out payment arrangements if you wanted to make payments on the debt.

I'm truly sorry if this is not the news you had hoped to hear. Please don't shoot the messenger

Also, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.