Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If I 1031 exchange the proceeds from a rental property, do

If I 1031 exchange the proceeds from a rental property, do I have to incur debt on the property I exchange into?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

The general guidelines to follow in order to defer all the taxable gain are:

• The value of the replacement property must be equal to or greater than the value of the relinquished property.

• The equity in the replacement property must be equal to or greater than the equity in the relinquished property.

• The debt on the replacement property must be equal to or greater than the debt on the relinquished property.

• All of the net proceeds from the sale of the relinquished property must be used to acquire the replacement property.

Robin D :

The debt on the replacement property must be equal to or greater than the debt on the relinquished property. If the debt on the replacement is less then then that portion would not be deferred.

Robin D :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

Customer:

Thank you for your response. Must the 1031 meet ALL of these guidelines or just one or a couple of them?

Robin D :

It must meet all.

Robin D :

Any amounts that do not get used for replacement would be taxable. So not meeting does not mean it is not 1031 but would mean that protion would not be deferred under 1031.