Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My daughter paid SC income tax for the past few years, but

My daughter paid SC income tax for the past few years, but failed to file a tax return. What are the rules about this and how can she deal with the fact that the past returns were not files?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

The first thing your daughter will need to do is file the missing SC tax returns. She may even be due a refund. She must file all the returns, but if a refund is due, she only can get the refund if it is within the last three years

MyVirtualCPA :

The rules for state income taxes are the same as the rules for the IRS - if a return is not filed, the state can come back and demand that return at any time - even if it's 30 years down the road.

MyVirtualCPA :

So, I would go to a tax preparer in your area and get the returns filed.

Customer:

is there a penalty for not filing

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, if tax is due

Customer:

If she does not owe taxes is there a penalty for not filing? If she over paid, will she get money back when she files

MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct. If no tax is due, there is no penalty.

Customer:

if she over paid, will she get money back?

MyVirtualCPA :

If it is within the last three years, yes

MyVirtualCPA :

If it has been longer than three years, no

Thanks, Earl for your positive rating. Please come back and see MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com