Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If I am a Brazilian Citizen, living in Brazil, and I have a

Customer Question

If I am a Brazilian Citizen, living in Brazil, and I have a Delaware Corporation. Do I have to pay taxes in the from the dividends of my USA corporation
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
The US taxes nonresident aliens on US sourced income. That would mean then that if you are receiving Dividends from a US company , the US taxation would apply.

Robin D :

The US does not have a tax treaty with Brazil so there would be no lower rate to apply by treaty unfortunantly.

Robin D :

Part of a dividend paid by a foreign corporation is U.S. source if at least 25% of the corporation's gross income is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business for the 3 tax years before the year in which the dividends are declared.

JACUSTOMER-2ahxc7us- :

Thank you Robin.

JACUSTOMER-2ahxc7us- :

Are you an attorney?

Robin D :

No, tax advisor

Robin D :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

JACUSTOMER-2ahxc7us- :

Thank you again

Robin D :

You are most welcome

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Robin,

Another question. I have a mortgage with a foreign investor. This gentleman lives in Argentina. However, I pay interest on the mortgage. How do I report this interest of my mortgage on my Schedule A. The foreign investor does not have a social security number.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,
Normally you would need to start a new question because the subject is different but I will leave the rating open here for you.

Nonresident aliens can claim some of the same itemized deductions that resident aliens can claim. However, nonresident aliens can claim itemized deductions only if they have income effectively connected with their U.S. trade or business.
These deductions include state and local income taxes, charitable contributions to U.S. organizations, casualty and theft losses, and miscellaneous deductions.
If you are not a resident alien you may not claim the interest on your main home, unfortunately.

If you were a resident alien then you would be allowed to claim the interest on your main home. You would just include a statement with the return, of course you would need to look to mandatory withholding on the interest payments to the nonresident lender then.

I wish I could advise differently.

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.