PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  32 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

I am being audited and I call the IRS office in North Carolina,

Customer Question

I am being audited and I call the IRS office in North Carolina, I asked why was I being audited she said no particualar reason just a random pick. I asked if I could set up a time that I can come in and bring my paper work she said that I had to send my paper work to her because she had 200 cases. I think this handled very unprofessional. Please tell me what should I do.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

NPVAdvisor :

NPVAdvisor :

The IRS DOES do random audits each year

NPVAdvisor :

And I know it's a lot of trouble, but it might be more efficient to go there (keeping control of your paperwork, rather than sending copies off in the mail) and getting it over and done with in one meeting

NPVAdvisor :

Here are your rights, as a taxpayer:

NPVAdvisor :

The IRS trains its employees to explain and protect taxpayers’ rights throughout their contacts with taxpayers. These rights include:

• A right to professional and courteous treatment by IRS employees.
  • A right to privacy and confidentiality about tax matters.
  • A right to know why the IRS is asking for information, how the IRS will use it and what will happen if the requested information is not provided.
  • A right to representation, by oneself or an authorized representative.
  • A right to appeal disagreements, both within the IRS and before the courts.
NPVAdvisor :

Also see this:

NPVAdvisor :

Examination Methods

An examination may be conducted by mail or through an in-person interview and review of the taxpayer's records. The interview may be at an IRS office (office audit) or at the taxpayer's home, place of business, or accountant's office (field audit). Taxpayers may make audio recordings of interviews, provided they give the IRS advance notice. If the time, place, or method that the IRS schedules is not convenient, the taxpayer may request a change, including a change to another IRS office if the taxpayer has moved or business records are there.

The audit notification letter tells which records will be needed. Taxpayers may act on their own behalf or have someone represent or accompany them. If the taxpayer is not present, the representative must have proper written authorization. The auditor will explain the reason for any proposed changes. Most taxpayers agree to the changes and the audits end at that level.

NPVAdvisor :

Here's an article from intuit regarding random audits - Dated, but might be helpful: http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/2007/06/15/the-irs-random-audits-are-back/

NPVAdvisor :

Finally, here's what the IRS says about audits: http://www.irs.gov/uac/The-Examination-(Audit)-Process

NPVAdvisor :

But again, to answer your question; If it were me I think I'd rather set it up, go there, and get it over with. (You MAY, when you call back, want to put them on notice that you know about their PUBLISHED "right to know why the IRS is asking for information, how the IRS will use it and what will happen if the requested information is not provided."

NPVAdvisor :

I hope this has been helpful ... The links provided here will stay active; Feel free to bookmark and come back for future reference

NPVAdvisor :

Let me know if you have questions

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. Different expert here, with a few tips for going to your audit.

You didn't describe your income and expenses, but audits of wage earners are relatively straight forward and most items easy to support. People who have rental properties, schedule C businesses, and other incomes or losses are more likely targets.

The best way to prepare for your own audit is to contact the auditor and ask what specific items he or she wants to examine. This limits the scope of the exam, and allows you to assemble the supporting documents needed to answer those questions alone.

Just that limitation request might limit the exam to one or two items, which you may be able to handle by mailing copies of your supporting documents in for support. It's a lot easier than a face to face audit. If the auditor is so busy, they will appreciate the opportunity to clear an audit without an appointment if possible.

I normally advise hiring a tax pro for audits, just for the peace of mind of not taking the audit personally. Your circumstances will dictate what you need to prepare for and the issues.

IRS employees are trained to treat citizens the way they do. It is intended to gather information and take an advantage in an audit environment. It's another reason why tax pros are better suited to audits. It's not personal with them.

Also, do not volunteer any information to the auditor. If you must appear, and choose not to hire someone, be polite, dress appropriately, and answer questions relating to the limited scope you arranged before going. Make copies of your supporting documents (do not bring originals) and let the auditor make copies for their records. Casual conversation is not required.

Just a few tips on how you might handle things. If I can help further, please ask for me (I'm PDtax) by name, and I will be able to assist tomorrow.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer.