Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Hello, My sister is planning on selling her apartment in

My sister is planning on selling her apartment in Russia for around $75,000, which she will pay a 13% tax on. After the taxes come out, whatever is the difference, she will send the money to me as a gift. I currently reside in the United States with a temporary status (under a DACA). I'm not a citizen, but I do have SSN and was wondering if I'll need to pay taxes on the money I receive and what percentage?
Thank you for your time and your response would be greatly appreciate it.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today, Yana?

MyVirtualCPA :

As you are a resident of the United States, you are taxed the same way a citizen is.

MyVirtualCPA :

Gifts are never taxable to the recipient, and your sister has no tax obligation to the US so there is no gift tax return even filed

MyVirtualCPA :

Also, since the amount you are receiving is below $100,000 there is no need to file form 3520 to report the gift

MyVirtualCPA :

There is absolutely no tax, state or federal

MyVirtualCPA :

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer: Will I have to prove that this money is a gift?
MyVirtualCPA :

Typically no - but a statement from your sister would be enough to prove that it is a gifrt

MyVirtualCPA :

Customer: Will indeed to alert irs that I'm getting this gift money even though there willbe no tax taken out?
MyVirtualCPA :

No, since the amount is under $100,000

Customer: Sounds good to me, thank you for your time
MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

I see where we got disconnected in chat. I believe we have covered the items you needed assistance with. If you have follow up questions, please reply below. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I will, thank you!
You're welcome! Have a great day!
Thanks, Yana for rating my answer. It is greatly appreciated. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax, finance, or social security question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today!