Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I filed an extension for 2012 because I lost some computer

I filed an extension for 2012 because I lost some computer and paper records. I am in the process of recreating everything. However I am missing some 1099-c forms (from credit card debt cancellation). I do not know who mailed me these nor have account numbers so I can not go back and request replacement copies. Since the creditors would have also reported those forms to the IRS, (identifiable events?), can I request copies from the IRS. I see where I can get transcipts, but that will not help.

NPVAdvisor :

Hi

NPVAdvisor :

If you'll look at line 8 on form 4506-T (that's the transcript request form) you can ask for w-2, 1099, etc. information ... you just have to check that box

NPVAdvisor :

Here's what line 8 says:

NPVAdvisor :

Form W-2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series, or Form 5498 series transcript. The IRS can provide a transcript that includes data from
these information returns. State or local information is not included with the Form W-2 information. The IRS may be able to provide this
transcript information for up to 10 years. Information for the current year is generally not available until the year after it is filed with the IRS.
For example, W-2 information for 2010, filed in 2011, will not be available from the IRS until 2012. If you need W-2 information for retirement
purposes, you should contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. Most requests will be processed within 45 days . . .

NPVAdvisor :

Here's the form: Form 4506-T

NPVAdvisor :

I see tat you're typing ... I'll wait

Customer:

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw that form on the IRS website and alternatively they also had an online request which I submitted this morning. My concern was, the way I read that was they would give me copies of what I submitted, rather than what was submitted by the creditors. I have not submitted anything or even filed yet. So it is your understanding they will provide me with all the info --(1099-C)s they have on file?

NPVAdvisor :

Yes, they will .... Thjey won't have the form itself, but the information that was reported will be there

NPVAdvisor :

and it's late enough now that they should have the info from a 2012 1099

Customer:

Thanks and I will wait to see what they provide me from my online request. If not sufficient I will file the 4506-t.

NPVAdvisor :

Sounds good I think you'll be fine ... all that will end up mattering is that the amount of income they reported totals to what you report

NPVAdvisor :

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Customer:

Will do. Will rate now

Thanks much, Brian.

If you'd like to work with ME again, just say "For Lane only, at the beginning of a new question.

Thanks again,
Lane