Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Tax Preparer for 16 years; 25+ years experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Is it possible to get a State Tax Lien removed from credit

Is it possible to get a State Tax Lien removed from credit report once it is paid in the state of Ohio?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

Yes. You can definitely have a state tax lien removed from your credit report once it is paid. The procedure to follow is to get proof of payment from the State of Ohio and send a copy to the company who prepared your credit report. As a precaution, I would send it to the other two major credit reporting companies as well. The three major credit reporting companies are: Experian, Transunion and Equifax. Of course, you will want to retain a copy of the proof of payment for yourself in the unlikely event it should ever show up again on your credit report.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Thank you very much for the answer. Yes, it is reporting on all three agencies, so I need to take care of all three. Is there a special form to request removal from the Credit Reporting Companies? Or am I just writing them a generic letter asking them to remove it? That just seems to easy I guess, I have seen people mention that I might need a "withdrawal" or "release" granted from the courthouse?

Thanks,

Shaun

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Shaun.

Thank you so much for your follow-up question. As to your credit report, a generic letter will suffice. It usually takes 30-60 days for your credit report to reflect the removal.

If the lien is also appearing against you in public records of the county in which you live, the State will need to file a release of the lien. This can be a little trickier since states are quick to file liens but slow to remove them, or they may mail you the release and then you will have to file it with the county. Before you send in your payment, I would telephone the State and ask them what their procedure is and how long it will take them to either mail you the release so you can file it or when the State will file it.

Thank you.

Barb

Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience: Tax Preparer for 16 years; 25+ years experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, Shaun.

Just a short note to thank you for the excellent rating. It is most appreciated. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family and friends are also always appreciated.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Barb