How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 54986
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my daughter as a dependent even though she is 63

This answer was rated:

Can I claim my daughter as a dependent even though she is 63 years old? She lived with me the entire year, was unemployed and attending school and had as income only unemployment payments. I was her sole source of support.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Although your daughter would not be qualify as a "dependent child" because she is over 24 years old, pursuant to IRS Publication 501, page 11 (, your daughter could be claim as a dependent as a "qualifying relative." Under the IRS guidelines, she can be claimed as a qualifying relative if:

"1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying
child of any other taxpayer.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the
ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with
you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your
household (and your relationship must not violate local law).
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total
support for the year."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Do I file as "Head of household"?

Thanks for following up. If you will refer to Table 4 on Page 10 of the same IRS Publication (, it will allow you to determine whether or not your daughter would qualify you to file as "head of household."
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: