How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2565
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought mutual funds 8 years ago abroad. I never reported

Customer Question

I bought mutual funds 8 years ago abroad. I never reported thess investments and dividends received on mutual funds invested abroad on my US tax returns . Whats the procedure to report and pay tax on previous years. How much tax professional will take to fix last 8 years of missing investment information
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.


You would be required to report the dividends on your tax return each year, and in the event you sold any of the funds, you would be required to report such a sale.


Would you mind giving me an idea of the approximate amount of dividends you received each year so I could determine if it would impact your tax return?


Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Actually my dividend always reinvested. I never receive or get cash. Dividend declared and re-invested as follows


2008 = 2000

2009 = 4000

2010 = 6000

2011 = 8000

2012 = 10000

2013 = 14000


Note: I never get cash all my dividends re-invest automatically.


Current total value around $ 50,0000. But in 2005 it was $ 10000

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Even though you did not actually receive the dividends and they were reinvested, they are still considered as being paid to you or income for tax purposes. I would suggest you amend your returns to include this information. It is always best to give the IRS information before the IRS contacts you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much a tax professional charge me to file these amendments for last 8 years. Do I have to report dividend only or mutual fund price also?. I need answer in detail . Thanks

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Fees that tax professionals charge vary, and I cannot recommend a specific person or company per Just Answer site rules. I would contact a major tax preparation company such as H&R Block, local CPAs and/or Enrolled Agents in your area and give them your information so they will be able to give you an idea of their fees.


You would report the dividend income received (reinvested).



Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Mas.


I do not understand your poor service rating of my answer to you. Per site rules, I cannot give you specific information about the fees that a CPA or tax preparer will charge you to amend your tax returns as fees vary greatly from one individual or company to another.


Also, I informed you that you would need to report the dividend income on your tax return. For instance, you said that in 2008 you received $2000 in dividends. That amount would need to be reported on your 2008 tax return.


Please let me know if you require additional information or clarification, and I will be happy to assist you.


Thank you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience