Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

If one has not filed tax returns for past years, or has filed

If one has not filed tax returns for past years, or has filed them bit is nor sure if IRS is missing some returns the how cam he get a verification from the IRS?

Can he ask the IRS to give him in writing which years are missing?

Also, how can he get the copies of the returns for rhe years they do have?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040

MyVirtualCPA :

You can also get copies of your tax returns by filling out form 4506. The IRS generally will only have the last six tax returns available.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What's up with the returns older than 6 years? Do they need to be filed still then? Can IRS come back and demand for those older returns?
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
You must file returns, and if a return was never filed the IRS can come at any time and assess tax. There's no statute of limitations until returns are filed. So yes, the IRS can demand those returns.

Is there anything else I can assist you with? If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well, I need to know from IRS which rwturns they don't have. Will they have in the system information that a return was filed even if they don't have copies of the same.

I need written demand of the missing tax returns. How do get that?
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your follow up. Yes, they will have information in the system as to whether or not a return was filed. You can get a written demand of the missing tax returns by calling 1-800-829-1040 and speaking with an agent there.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level