How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13116
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received an amended 1099 DIV from Fidelity for 2012.

This answer was rated:

I just received an amended 1099 DIV from Fidelity for 2012. I have already filed my 2012 return and received my refunds. I entered the changes which decreased my total ordianry dividens by $17, increased my Qualified dividends by $17, and added $17 to Nondividend Distributions. When I changed these numbers on my tax software it increased my refund by $2 for the Fed and $1 for the state.
Do I have to submit an amended tax return for 2012 since this is such a small amount?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You may receive a letter from the IRS and/or state amount the difference in the reporting. If you do at that time you could send in the correct amounts or you can go ahead and submit the change. There is no set amount that requires a 1040X be filed.

Robin D :

If you wait it could be anywhere form 1 to 3 years before you hear form the IRS about the corrected 1099DIV. They will then require the information. It is generally easier to amend while the information is fresh and documents are in hand.

Robin D :

Customer Last Viewed Today at 1:09

Robin D :

Please let me know if you need clarification before you rate.

Robin D. and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions