Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

will new york state redposit my income tax check if funds are

Customer Question

will new york state redposit my income tax check if funds are not available the first time
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

The state of New York does not submit checks a second time for payment. The re-submission of a payment is in the hands of the clearinghouse. When a check is not paid, the clearinghouse frequently resubmits it to the bank.

• New York State cannot ensure that the check will be submitted a second time for payment. It is up to you to decide whether to wait and see if the clearinghouse resubmits it to the bank, or whether you should make an additional payment.

• If your check is resubmitted and there are sufficient funds in your bank account to cover it, the check will be paid and not returned to New York State, and therefore, you will not be charged with the penalty and interest for an unpaid check. If the payment is late, however, there may be penalty and interest for the late payment. The state will notify you if a balance becomes due on your account.

MyVirtualCPA :

The clearinghouse will make the decision whether or not to resubmit for payment, not New york state

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else you need? If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I see you were unable to join our live chat. If you would, please review my response. If satisfied, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. If you need more information, please reply below. Thanks again.