How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lev Your Own Question

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25584
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

for bkb1956 or Barb As a Texas Resident, my contract to

Customer Question

for bkb1956 or Barb

As a Texas Resident, my contract to work in California will allow the company to provide me with allowances. I was informed that I could get an allowance that is tax deductable in Texas. I'm assuming that the allowance or per diem will be taxed in California. If these two are correct, what is the maximim per diem that is tax deductable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
bkb1956 seems as not available online - and I will help you.
There are several issues with your situation.
Because you are living in Texas but travel for work to California - your travel expenses might be deductible if that is a temporary job assignment.

Please see for reference IRS publication 463 -
If your assignment or job away from your main place of work is temporary, your tax home does not change. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.However, if your assignment or job is indefinite, the location of the assignment or job becomes your new tax home and you cannot deduct your travel expenses while there. An assignment or job in a single location is considered indefinite if it is realistically expected to last for more than 1 year, whether or not it actually lasts for more than one year.

According to the IRS - you must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work. If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise. An assignment or job that is initially temporary may become indefinite due to changed circumstances.


You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you have when you travel away from home on business. This table summarizes travel expenses you may be able to deduct.

Full Size Image

You may have other deductible travel expenses that are not covered there, depending on the facts and your circumstances.

You generally might deduct transportation expenses to and from CA, lodging and daily meals and incidental expenses (M&IE) - Per Diem.
You need to subtract all expenses provided or paid or reimbursed by your employer if these were not included into your wages.


If your employer reimburses you for travel expenses while you are temporary away from home - such reimbursement are not included to your wages ONLY if paid under accountable reimbursement plan.
In order to qualify as an accountable plan, your reimbursement or allowance arrangement must require that your employees meet all three of the following rules:
(1) There must be a business connection to the expenditure. This means that the expense must be a deductible business expense incurred in connection with services performed as an employee. If not reimbursed by the employer, the expense would be deductible by the employee on his/her 1040 income tax return.
(2) There must be "adequate" accounting by the recipient within a reasonable period of time. This means that your employees must verify the date, time, place, amount and the business purpose of the expenses. Receipts are required unless the reimbursement is made under a per Diem Plan.
(3) Excess reimbursements or advances must be returned within a reasonable period of time. Reasonable depends upon facts and circumstances.


Thank you very much for your input. I'm pleased with the response.


If your employer reimburses you for travel expenses under non-accountable reimbursement plan - your employer is required to report such reimbursement as wages on your W2 form - and that amount will be included into your taxable wages.
However - if otherwise deductible - you may deduct your travel expenses on your tax return as non-reimbursed employee business expenses.
There is NO income tax in Texas. However your income is taxed on federal level and in California based on source of income. California does have separate income tax.


So if your travel expenses are deductible - they are deductible for both - federal and California state income tax purposes.


I hope that fully explains your situation.
Let me know if any clarification needed.


If your employer will not include Per Diem into your taxable wages - because that is a temporary job assignment and reimbursement paid under accountable plan - that reimbursement will not be taxable for both - federal and California state income tax purposes.


My goal is to provide EXCELLENT service.
Please be sure you rate answers provided.
I would be glad to address all your tax related issues.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25584
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Edwin.


I apologize that I could not respond to this question even though you clearly requested me. I had attempted to post my response 3-4 times, but it seems it never went.


As I told you in the first question I answered for you, the site has been experiencing problems this morning.


Best regards,


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lev, Barb,


I rated your response as an Excellent Rating. Thank you. As of now, I don't have any additional question. Next time, I sure will go through this route for future questions.



Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

I appreciate your follow-up with me, Edwin, and once again, sorry for the site issues on 7/26.


Thank you and best regards,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience