Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

my pension will be around $52,800 a year, my wifes pension

Customer Question

my pension will be around $52,800 a year, my wife's pension will be around $28,800 a year.
I have a part-time job that pays about $20,000 a year. Taxes are already being taken out of the part-time job checks. What % should I take out of the pension checks for federal income tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Based on your information, you are in the 25% tax bracket. Therefore, I would have 25% of your pension checks withheld. This will cover your tax

MyVirtualCPA :

If you withhold 25% you will get a refund at the end of the year, as your marginal rate is only the rate at which the last $1 you earn is taxed.

MyVirtualCPA :

Your effective rate is 15.1%

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if you wanted to pay just enough tax to cover your bill, you should withhold 15%.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

MyVirtualCPA :

Also, if you have social security earnings, 85% of those benefits will also be taxable based on your income level. Because of this, I would still lean towards withholding 25% of your pension checks to cover tax.

Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer